Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Which would you rather have?

Intrigued by PT's questions, I now ask:

If you MUST choose between having that very long tongue or the extra fingers on your hands, which would you rather have.

No answers like "I would not have any". If you must answer, you have to choose between the 2 options.

My answer :

I love KFC and we know it's finger-lickin' good, so if I had 16 fingers (three more on each hand, correct?) I figure I'd have more to feast on, although with my regular-length tongue that may take a while to do. However with a longer tongue I could finish the task with one quick swoop at each hand with only the original ten digits to contend with. That'd be a distinct advantage if I was pressed for time, always a major concern anyway, so score one for the three-foot tongue.

Then again I have always dreamed about being a musician, a professional harp player in fact, and extra fingers would definitely be beneficial - not to mention a longer tongue instead might get stuck in the strings (which would be a big no-no during concerts I'm sure you'd agree). And as a bonus I could play rhythm and lead simultaneously on the same guitar, all it would take is practice. So that's a big plus for the fingers.

And also, here are some of the disadvantages of a long tongue: it would be more difficult to hold my tongue the longer it gets, as you can imagine, and slips of the tongue would probably be more frequent. And then anything I say with tongue in cheek would easily be discerned: people would easily spot the bulge. Also I notice that even with a longer tongue, its tip would be the same size, therefore those things at the tip of my tongue would not necessarily increase.

Meanwhile extra fingers offer these advantages: I could assign blame to more people (point more fingers, helpful at the office); I could keep more fingers crossed, thus more opportunities for wishes; and very few things would slip through my fingers. (The drawback being I'd be forced to lift a finger and help someone every time, what with my additional ability.)

Considering everything, maybe I'd choose more fingers but I'd have to check if the wife would agree.

No comments: